Updating the Palace again

•March 19, 2010 • 1 Comment

Hello everyone,  I have an update of the palace here.  Lots of changes and some new additions.  New pillars, new detailing of the palace, edited the palace a bit, put some boats back in, and a few other things.

A few things i need to work on: New sky texture (this one is very low res), cloth for statue (learn zbrush), more little things.  Then its off to texturing.

Palace Update

•March 12, 2010 • 1 Comment

Hello everyone,

I have been hard at work on the palace, have a few updates for you.  Started in on little things, crates, barrels and cranes.  Also redid the dome at the top and added another statue as I wasn’t happy with it before.  I have closeup renders of both for your ocular pleasure.

Video Reel and Les Paul

•March 5, 2010 • Leave a Comment

Hello everyone,

The reason I have not made a new post in a while is because my computer and laptop have both been hijacked by renders.  My first video reel in a while has finally been completed.  You can find it here.  There isn’t a whole lot on there as I wanted most of to to be my recent stuff.  I will try and update it as I get new stuff.  I also did not include the palace on there as that is not yet even close to being completed.  On another bright note, I believe I am 95% done the Les Paul, I think the knobs need a bit more work and then I can call it quits on it.

I will be trying out the new Mudbox with my statue to see how well I can get a rope sculpted out of that.  It seems to be crashing after I add 2 levels of detail though, I’ll have to look into that before I can continue.  Until then I will be starting to focus on details for the Palace scene that I mentioned were missing in previous posts.

Palace Update

•February 12, 2010 • Leave a Comment

And now my palace has finished rendering:)  I have removed the boats as I think they have been a major contributor to the scale problems I was having before.  Also included in this update is a wire frame.  The poly count is crazy high, but if the veggies are removed then it is back down to manageable levels.

Next up for what needs fixing is I plan on adding more detail to the large square columns in the left there.  You may have noticed I added in some placeholder buildings back there.  I’ll look around for some reference to see what I can throw in there.  The statue also needs clothing.  I am modeling her after the Statue of Britannia in Plymouth UK.  I suppose i should put feet on her as well.  The body is just being used as reference right now, once she is garbed I will be deleting most of it as it will not be visible.

I also want to start adding in smaller details, benches, pots, roughness around the walls that are on the water, carts, crates, junk, all those lovely little details that make it real.  Once all that is done it will be on to texturing.  That will be long and arduous but it will finish it.

That about sums up the palace situation.  I think I will finish the Les Paul before I go back to this so it will be easier to concentrate on it.  I’ll see if I can provide another update tomorrow on that.

•February 11, 2010 • 1 Comment

Well my Les Paul finished rendering.  As I mentioned below, it still needs pegs/tuners and knobs/strings.  After those are in I can texture the neck and call it done.

I am almost done an updated render of that palace.  I removed the boats as I think they were a major factor to the scale being all wonky.  I will post that up here later tonight if I am able.  My internet has been rather unhelpful these past few days.

First!

•February 10, 2010 • Leave a Comment

Hello everyone.  I’m just creating this blog thing so I can host my 3d images without having them be deleted right after I send them out to companies.

Might as well talk about each of them eh?  This is the Palace i am working on.  The scale is still screwed up and I am working on fixing that first and foremost.  The statue in the middle there still needs to be rigged and posed so i can cloth it.  It’s still a long way off from being called ‘done’.

While on Environments I’ve modeled, next up is the temple in Hawaii I made a few years ago.  A poly count that is WAY too high, it was one of the first buildings I tried to make.  I thought it turned out well until I re-looked at the temple references.  I will probably dedicate some time to this after I get the palace well enough along.

Lastly was a test I did for Next Level Games where you were given one 3/4 top down shot and you had to replicate the environment drawn.  This was my attempt at it.

Next up are my guitars I suppose.  When I thought about what kind of props to model, guitars instantly came to my mind as they can have complex shapes, finely detailed parts, and if you get anything wrong on one there are sure to be people out there who can spot the mistakes immediately.  This requires precision and accuracy on all parts of the guitar.

Schechter Hellraiser:

This was my trial guitar before I wanted to get into the ones I really liked.  I liked how it turned out though:)

Gibson Les Paul:

I have to re-render this as imageshack seemed deleted it for some reason.  I will post it later after it is rendered.  I still need to add pegs/knobs/tuners to it, and after that texture the neck/head.

1957 Bel Air Convertible:

I did this one a little over 2 years ago, just after I started working at EA again.  The car paint shader turned out well.

Well that’s it for now.  I’ll see how well this works and will post more later when the Les Paul is done.